Thursday, September 6

Honey for the Soul

It's September now, which means that Fall is quickly approaching, regardless of what your thermostat might be telling you. As Joe Fox would have said, had the screenplay been written a bit differently, "Don't you love Kansas City in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

Only here in Kansas City we actually have something to get excited about this fall, something far more exhilarating than bouquets of sharpened pencils, as romantic as Tom Hanks makes it sound.

The Jewish Roots Institute.

I realized the other day that I'm looking forward to taking classes this fall at the Jewish Roots Institute like I look forward to eating Dots or really soft snickerdoodles. It's that same anticipation, that same so-good-I-can-taste-it-already sensation.

But then tonight I heard a much more poetic and, I think, fitting description from a very sweet and sincere long-time student of the institute. The experience and knowledge you gain from attending classes is "honey for the soul." If we are, indeed, supposed to "taste and see that the Lord is good," Jewish classes are what's for dinner. Consider yourself officially invited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again, Susan Simon has her pulse on the Things That Matter, and has efficiently counted out a respiratory rate of 60 wonderful JRI beats a minute, accompaning the rythmic movements of her own great heart as it pumps out Love For All and Good Writing For Those Who Know It. I too am scarely able to rest in my seat as I dream of being replenished by the glorious "honey of the soul," which shall soon pump into my veins at the hospital we call Adat Yeshua, administered by Dr. Feldman and Co. Thank you, Dear Sister, for alerting us with the Clarion of your Code Red Blog that awakens our slumbering hearts to Things That Matter. Adeiu, adieu, adieu.